A couple of weeks ago I attended a Ruby Connection lunch where Gail Kelly, CEO of the Westpac Group, generously shared her unique and personal insights on leadership. Gail was a wonderful, engaging speaker with many fascinating stories of her journey and experiences from both her personal and professional life. I found Gail’s leadership points valuable and relevant. I’d like to share these with you and I would also like to invite you to check-in with yourself on where you are with each one of these leadership points.
- Positive attitude – To be an effective leader, or an effective individual, adopt a positive attitude. We choose our attitude and we choose how we respond in each situation.
- Do what you love and love what you do – When we love what we do it holds greater meaning for us. We care more. If you don’t love what you do, change it. You owe it to yourself to love your work.
- Be courageous – Look for opportunities to put your hand up and have a go. Back yourself.
- Make sure you have the right people around you – First and foremost select people on values and culture, then on skills. Don’t keep the wrong people around you. Realise the richness of diversity.
- Generosity of spirit – Believe in people. Encourage them to flourish, grow and thrive. Be tolerant of their mistakes.
- Thrive on change – Change is happening across the world in seismic proportions. Embrace it.
- Communicate – As a leader be authentic, visible, accessible and truthful. Communicate the ‘Why’ of your business.
- Resilience – Be resilient and adaptable. Continually reinvent yourself as circumstances require you to do so.
If you check-in with each of these points above what comes up for you? What areas do you need to work on to enhance your leadership skills?
Thank you to Westpac’s Ruby Connection for this inspiring session with Gail Kelly!